BMW 328 Camo Coupe

The 328 was a sports car, which was manufactured by the BMW factory between the years 1936 and 1940. Designed by Kurt Joachimson featured many advanced for the time characteristics, as tube frame, rack-and-pinion type direction system, hydraulic clutch, hydraulic brake system and ‘KRONPRINZ’ wheels with central bolt.

In 1938, BMW 328 captured one of the first international victories by winning its class in the annual Mille Miglia race. This result was upgraded in 1940, when the 328 Coupe, constructed on chassis No. 85368 won this same race outright in the hands of Huscke von Hanstein – later to become Porsche’s racing manager – and Walter Baumer.

The 328 Coupe had a super light body ‘Superleggera’, constructed by ‘Carrozzeria Touring’ in Milan, one and only made for the specific car, especially for fast and long-distance races.

The exhibited in the Museum BMW 328 has an aerodynamic aluminium body which has been built by ‘Carozzeria MOTTO’ (CA.MO.) of Torino.

Within the plans of restoration, the Museum proceeded to install the attractive body on to the chassis, which it was designed for, thus on a BMW 328.

This costly decision permits the car to compete in historic car racing, something that the BMW’s Museum, which bought the Mille Miglia ’40 winning car at a price which they avoided to announce, they approve only for regularity rallies, such as today’s Mille Miglia and also for car shows, such as the ‘Concours d’Elegance’ of Villa d’Este by the lake Como.

Built year: 1939 
Engine type / cc: 6 in line / 1,971cc 
Engine output: 136bhp / 6,000rpm 
Top speed: 155 km/h 
Number produced: 3

Copyright 2019 - Hellenic Motor Museum